Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Broccoflower with garlic crumbs

The recipe I present here is low fat version of the deep fried cauliflower. I used broccoflower (a hybrid of broccoli and cauliflower) - for its color and also for its nutritional value. Additionally you would need garlic pods (about 6-7 sliced thin) and bread crumbs. Garlic flavored bread crumbs can also be used, though nothing can beat the aroma of fresh garlic being sauted (I think Sunita will agree with me and this recipe would be a nice entry to her "Think Garlic" Event).



Cook the broccoflower florets in salted boiling water. Drain the water and run the florets under cold water or place them in ice bowl to stop the cooking process (thanks to the food network shows). Wipe the cooked florests gently with a tissue/kitchen cloth to remove excess moisture. In a pan saute garlic slices in 2 tbsp of oil until they turn to golden brown color. Add the florets to the pan and saute until the florets are a bit crispy (about 5-6 minutes). Season with salt and pepper and any other herbs you like. For additional crunch add the bread crumbs and saute for 3-4 minutes and serve hot with ketchup or vegetable side dish. As I was finishing this writeup, I just realized - why did I go through such a pain of boiling florets, wiping them, saute them - I could have just placed the florets with garlic, bread crumbs and olive oil and bake the dish in an oven and get done with! :)

Have a nice day you all!

2 comments:

Sowjanya Yinti said...

I bought this orange cauliflower the other day. I think your recipe might be it to try that :).

sunita said...

broccoflower, now that's a new one...thanks for your lovely entry :-)